Thursday, December 1, 2011

Glitter!


Helloooo! I can't believe it's been over a month since I last posted. But I have returned with my very first tutorial! Yay, aren't you excited? (It's ok if you say no, lol)

So, I'm gonna show you how to make a fairly simple stocking hanger. We don't have a fireplace so our stockings get hung on the wall.

Alright, here we go! You're going to need a small picture frame, glue or Modge Podge, tissue paper, small nails or cup hooks (or some other kind of small hook), scissors and glitter. Lots of glitter. haha. Your tissue and glitter should be similiar in color. I found these little square picture frames at Dollar Tree (love that place) You could get whatever shape you want but this is the look I was going for. First, you want to remove the little board on the back that holds the picture in and the glass, set those aside.


 Now cover the whole surface with a layer of glue or Modge Podge. Modge Podge is awesomeness in a jar but white glue is cheap. Take your pick. Make sure you that little edge on the inside and the sides.


Cut a piece of tissue paper about an inch larger than your frame all around. Cover the frame and smooth it out. Make sure you get it down good on the sides. It doesn't have to perfect, we're just trying to create a matching base for the glitter. On that note I should mention that you could skip the tissue altogether and just paint the frame with acrylic paint.


 Now cut an X across the frame opening. Push those little triangles down and around to the back so they stick to that inside edge. This is where I realized that my tissue paper was way too thin (probably got that from Dollar Tree too lol) so I added another layer. Let this dry.


Now trim all the excess paper and cover with a thick layer of glue.
(Check out the woman in the corner down there...Doesn't she look comfy? hahaha)


Aaannndddd....GLITTER! Shake that glitter all over. Be generous, you can pour what doesn't stick back in the jar. Let dry and shake off the extra. Be sure to let it dry first!

Add your hook or nail to the bottom, hot glue some ribbon to the back and add something lovely to the opening! Here's mine:


 And a close up- it's a square of wrapping paper, a square of cardstock cut with decorative scissor, and little scrapbooking letter (a nice little set from Target's $1 section) covered in more glitter. Can you tell I like glitter? However, I detest the word "bling", but the a whole other post.

And here's my whole set up. Hanging on the wall over the couch. Loves this.
You might note that although I had the foresight to buy an extra frame for Little Fat  (who was yet to be born last Christmas) I did not have the foresight to buy an extra stocking. Doh.
I'm sure that Pinterest can supply me with oodles of fantabulous ideas. Heck, we might all get new stockings.


And there you have it! A nice little stocking holder for all the mantleless people of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment